July 4th Activities 2015
Berkshire Sites, Museums and Outdoor Activities
An excellent general source of information is http://www.berkshires.org/.
Below, we have selected out some of the information from this site for your use,
for the time we are at Isabella Freedman.
Click the links below to go to the relevant sub-page
1. Boating and Bike Rentals & local Cultural Events - see below
2. Kid and Family Activities (includes a nearby Zoo & Museums with Child oriented exhibits)
4. Berkshire Museums (including Norman Rockwell & Hancock Shaker Village)
B. 1 Biking, Boating & the Great Falls!!
A) Fall Foliage River Ride Along the Housatonic River—Excellent!
a. This is a wonderful and easy to moderate bike trip mostly along River Road, alongside the Housatonic River for much of the time. At the midpoint you have a beautiful 150 year old covered bridge that you will visit in West Cornwall, CT. The trip is 12 miles long roundtrip and takes about 2 to 2.5 hours from start to finish. Here are turn by turn directions for this ride.
a. Bike Rentals will cost $25 per person. This trip leaves from Isabella Freedman. We will have the option to do this on Thursday PM, Friday AM and PM, and Sunday AM and PM. Please let us know on the RSVP form if you want this biking option so we can rent you a bike!
c. B) Great Falls Bike Ride or Family Car Trip—great for all, especially kids!
e. These falls are one of the nicest waterfalls in New England. According to one website, ‘ if you can’t get to Niagara Falls...this might just be as close as you can get in New England’. It gas a 50 ft height and you can visit both the lower and upper portions of the falls. Its also a great destination to drive to, for families and kids. Its only 3 miles from Isabella Freedman, for a pleasant 6 mile roundtrip bike or drive. Bike rentals for this trip are $15 per person, and it takes about 1 hr from start to finish. Here are turn by turn directions for this ride.
h. II. Boating—Canoeing and kayaking along the Housatonic
A. A.Clark Outdoors
B. 163 Route 7, West Cornwall, CT 06796
E. B. Paddle a 6 to ten mile section of the beautiful Housatonic River in Northwestern Connecticut.
F. The famous Covered Bridge in West Cornwall marks the halfway point for those doing the 10 mile trip and lunch is available at several places there. You may also bring a picnic lunch (no glass bottles please!), and stop at one of the many scenic spots along the river.
G. Prices - $60 per canoe, 2 to 3 people per canoe
H. $35 per kayak, 1 person per kayak
I. We are also be able to supply transportation for people doing this for $15 per person roundtrip, for people who don’t have cars or rides.
K. III. Local Cultural Activities
M. Tanglewood - Lennox, MA
B. Shakespeare & Co - Lennox, MA
Details coming soon
D. Music Mountain ( 85th Year, 5 minutes away)
ACTIVITY & EVENTS HIGHLIGHTS
The Retreat is located on a secluded 450 acre property, with a lake and a pond, and has the following amenities:
· Field and playground with sporting equipment
· Basketball court—1/2 court only
· 2 public computers with Internet available for use in the main building, and WiFi (Wireless Internet) available in the main building
· Game room in main building - Pool and Board Games
· pool (open May – September)
· Miles of hiking trails with paths that range from gentle to strenuous, and very close to the Appalachian Trail, where there will be hikes on Sunday
· Pool Table
· Tennis court
· Theatre Space
· A private lake for using free boats, fishing, and swimming—Canoes, pedal boats and paddle boats
Events on the Weekend
Onsite—included in the weekend price, weather permitting
· Kumzitz—With Jewish Music (Thursday Night & Satuurday Night)
· Hiking (on the Appalachian Trail) (Friday & Sunday)*
· Boating (Thursday, Friday and Sunday)*
· Volleyball (Friday, Sunday )*
· Swimming (Thursday, Friday, Sunday & night swim option—we hope to have separate swimming some of the time also)*
· Jewish Lectures (Shabbat)*
· Yoga (Throughout the event)*
* depending on interest and weather
Off Site & Onsite- additional cost, weather permitting, depending on interest
· Crafts Day - Drawing, Watercolors and other crafts ( depends on interest—if you can teach a craft you may be entitled to a reduced rate)
All Off site events ( except hiking) & Onsite arts and craft events depend on interest and are in addition to the fees for the weekend. Click Here to visit a site with all the local Berkshires possible attractions that we have created. As we get closer, we will organize groups for some of these events, based on interest.
We are also looking into arranging transportation for a fee for those without transportation to the Rail Trail Biking and the Boating on the Housatonic.
Clark Outdoor Housatonic River Bike Ride Great Falls
Canoe & Kayaking 12 miles, with scenic covered bridge! 3 miles away, great for kids